GUEST BLOG: Brookes Union Women's Officer: What's the point?

16:25 Unknown 0 Comments

I'm pretty newly elected, so for any of you who don't know me, I'm Becca and I'm the Union Women's Officer 2016/17. I decided to run for women's officer because although I believe we've come a long way in the last few decades in regards to inequality issues, I think we still have some way to go.
The embarrassingly enthusiastic photo taken of me on my first day.
My main focus this year is improving support structures in place for sexual assault and harassment victims and working on the university policy towards this. The report of the Universities UK Taskforce examining violence against women, harassment and hate crime affecting university students was published a couple of weeks ago. The demographic profile of universities is important given that government analysis shows that females aged between 16 and 19 are most likely to be the target of a sexual offence (8.2%) compared to the prevalence rate across all females of 3% and the prevalence rate across both males and females of 1.6%. The same data also shows that female, full-time students have a high prevalence rate of 6.8%. I’m sure most will agree with me in saying these figures are unacceptable so I’m very involved at the moment in talks about a possible more specific sexual assault framework so we can assure that we have the right structures in place for victims and the appropriate measures ongoing in the form of prevention schemes.
The newly elected part-time officer with the full-time officers!
Similarly, I'm hoping to run a campaign centred on healthy relationships and preventing domestic abuse within the university. As prevention is the best cure, organising speakers and publicising safeguarding mechanisms for victims of domestic abuse, be that emotional, physical or sexual, would be a positive thing. Talks! Campaigns! Events! All part of the goal for me. Ultimately, I am keen to promote, support, celebrate and protect female and non-binary students at Oxford Brookes.
Something I really wish to stress is that I'm always just a short message away, on any platform that's convenient for you. I was elected by the students, for the students and along with my fellow part-time officers, we're all very approachable and determined to help in any way we can. If you’re aware of organisations, charities, individuals etc. you’d like me to include in my campaigns or be aware of – I’m open to those too!
Contact me:
Email: su.womens@brookes.ac.uk
Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/jcsa6gw
Twitter: www.twitter.com/obsu_wo
Brookes Union page: http://tinyurl.com/ztlcd9l

0 comments :