Staying Healthy at Oxford Brookes Part 1

20:47 TeganR 0 Comments


Staying healthy while at university is absolutely essential to finishing your degree. The saying, “it’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon” is certainly true in this context. It’s important to pace yourself, and not burn out halfway through semester one. I’m personally returning from two years of medical leave. For me my health has now become my top priority and I wish I had considered the impact it had on my studies when I first started at Brookes. There’s a lot Oxford Brookes does, some directly and some indirectly, to encourage its students to stay healthy.
-----
Food
-----



On Tuesdays Brookes Union holds a Fresh Fruit and Veg stall. I can highly recommend it both for the competitive pricing and good quality of fruit and vegetables. A stop at the market has now become routine and I tend to cook my healthiest meals on a Tuesday because of this (I’d like to eventually say the same for the rest of the week!).

Oxford Brookes is known as being the first ‘Fairtrade University’, and offers a big selection of Fairtrade products. Unfortunately, this can make food on campus quite pricey, so unless you fancy treating yourself (which I do suggest once in a while!) I would recommend packing a lunch box.



-----
Fitness
-----



I’m not heavily involved in sport at Brookes, so I won’t pretend to know what I’m talking about in that department. However, I do love swimming, and although Brookes has a pool at the Harcourt Hill campus, it’s too far for me to travel. Instead I go to the Barton Leisure Centre and take part in the ‘Ladies Only – Water workout’ on Tuesdays (after the healthy dinner). It’s very easy to get to from Gypsy Lane Campus, just a 20-minute ride on the No. 8 or U1. The pool is lovely and clean, the staff friendly, and each session is very reasonably priced.
-----
Wellbeing
-----



Staying mentally healthy is, in my opinion, just as (perhaps more) important to you and your studies than being physically healthy.

All enrolled students are able to access counselling at Oxford Brookes, however, the wellbeing service goes much further than one-to-one counselling. The department offer workshops on stress and anxiety, talks on mood management, self-help resources, and online counselling.

Remember, everyone will at some point experience feelings of stress, anxiety, and depression. To a certain extent, it is normal; however if you find you are struggling with these feelings, contact the wellbeing department who will be able to guide you towards finding the right solution for you.

-----




There are a lot of opportunities to stay healthy in Oxford. I’ve perhaps only covered the bare essentials in this blog post, but I hope to be able to keep you informed of ways I’m personally trying to staying healthy while studying at Brookes. I'm also an undergraduate Architecture student (taking some of second year, some of third year) and I hope to keep a documentation of my architectural life on this blog as well. I'm also a big Parks and Rec fan, if you couldn't tell. 

0 comments :