Places I'll Miss

14:21 Briony Brake 0 Comments

I'm a third year. I've finished all of my essays, I've paid off my library fines (sorry library) and returned all my books. I don't need to go to campus anymore, and I don't need to lug my laptop up the hill anymore (thank goodness). I'm a third year, but I haven't graduated yet, so I'm a little stuck in the middle for a while.

Since finishing my deadlines off, I've mostly been at work or trying desperately to tidy my room without getting distracted by something and giving up (I finally succeeded yesterday). However, I realise I'll be going home soon, and by that I mean my real home back in Bournemouth. I'm leaving on the 24th May, and only have a few free days left to wander the cobbled streets around the Radcliffe Camera or spend hours getting lost in the Ashmolean.

Ironically, I was going to make you all a bucket list of things to do in Oxford before you leave (easier for Freshers), but I ran out of time and barely scratched the list I made with my housemates. So instead, the nostalgic wannabe hipster I am has decided to write you a brief list of the places I think I will miss most.


1. South Park When There's The Slightest Glimmer of Sunshine

South Park is essentially a giant field occasionally used for events like Tough Mudder or Common People, but it's also one of the most chilled out places you could possibly be in the Summer. I haven't had the time this semester to kick my shoes off and eat junk food like I did in the first two years (see photo for proof of frivolity and carefree-ness), but living so close was easily one of my favourite things about second year. Coming down to South Park with your friends and a frisbee or some drinks in the evening is just bliss - and if you catch a sunset over the skyline, you're really in for a treat.


2. The Second Year House I Fell in Love With

I don't know what it is, but I just adored this house. It wasn't super modern and fancy, or even that clean (plus we lost some of our deposit because we didn't mow the lawn..), but it was just great. It felt like it was really our place, me and my three housemates at the time. We turned the lounge into a study room by moving the kitchen table in there, or pushed the sofas together and added quilts and pillows until we were content with our fort. I also loved my room (I got lucky and had the biggest room), but had just as much fun walking with my friends to South Park, or discovering shortcuts, or just blasting out hit music as loud as we could. I love you, house.




3. The Little Shop on High Street Called Whittard

I first started working at Whittard in Oxford the day after Halloween in my first year at Brookes. I left at the end of that year, but returned in third year. Whittard has been my favourite job, and it's largely because I met my second biggest group of Oxford friends (first being housemates) who always made me feel welcome, and like part of the family. My head is now full to the brim with tea facts that probably won't be useful in adult life, but they're fun for me. I loved going there, just once a week, and I'll definitely be returning there on my visits to Oxford in the future.


4. The Vintage Shop on the Roundabout Where I Had An Idea

A weirdly cryptic one, I know, but in second year, I was on the U1 from campus into town and I had an idea as we went round the road. I remember because I remember texting someone about this idea half way round. It wasn't just a 'I need to remember to buy tights' sort of thing, more a concept and title for my collaborative feminist website that is now over a year old and has a host of writers and views. For some reason, every time I go this way, I remember.



What places will you miss, or what's on your bucket list?

0 comments :